Can I Do A Quit Claim Deed Without A Lawyer


Can I do a quit claim deed without a lawyer? Answered.

You can file a quit claim deed without a lawyer if you need to transfer property ownership swiftly and with relative ease.

This type of deed facilitates the transfer of legal property ownership from one party to another

Typically does not necessitate the involvement of attorneys or legal assistance, unless you decide to seek counsel from a lawyer.

Can I Do A Quit Claim Deed Without A Lawyer

What Does a Quitclaim Deed Do?

  • A quitclaim deed transfers property title from one person to another, with limited buyer protection.
  • The grantor, the giver of the property, hands over their current deed to the grantee, the recipient.
  • The title transfers without modifications, meaning the grantee assumes any existing title issues.
  • Commonly used among family members or for correcting original title errors.
  • Also known as quit claim deeds, quick claim deeds, and quitclaims.

When to Use a Quitclaim Deed?

  • Marriage: Convenient for adding a spouse to the property title.
  • Divorce: Useful when transferring the title to either party after divorce.
  • Wills: In cases where a deceased individual has bequeathed the property title to a friend or relative.
  • Gifts: When gifting property and seeking a simple, cost-effective title transfer.
  • Title Errors: For updating the property title in cases of errors.

These scenarios typically involve two parties with a high level of trust, minimizing the risk of title disputes. While not exhaustive, these are the most common situations for using a quitclaim deed.

Can I Do A Quit Claim Deed Without A Lawyer!! Steps:

  1. Consult an Attorney

  2. Obtain a Form

    • The quit claim deed form can be obtained from various sources.
    • Rocket Lawyer offers a customized form based on your state’s requirements.
    • Real estate attorneys and local recording offices in the property’s county can also provide the necessary form.
  3. Gather the Information

    • To complete the form, you must gather specific information.
    • Obtain the legal name of the person to whom you’re transferring ownership.
    • Retrieve the property’s legal description, typically found on your existing deed or obtainable from the county recorder’s office.
    • Also, collect the map number or property identification number, which can be sourced from your current deed or the county recorder’s office.
  4. Gather Witnesses and Notary

    • Depending on your state’s requirements, you may need witnesses and a notary.
    • In some states like Virginia, one or two witnesses are necessary to sign the quit claim deed filing form.
    • Other states, such as California, only require a notary to witness and complete their section of the form.
    • Carefully review your state’s requirements to ensure the correct number of witnesses and the presence of a notary.
  5. Complete the Form

    • Thoroughly fill out every section of the form from top to bottom.
    • Start by entering your full legal name as the current owner.
    • Provide the full legal name of the person or persons to whom ownership is being transferred.
    • Accurately reproduce the map number, property identification number, and legal description as found on your current deed or obtained from the county recorder’s office.
  6. Deliver the Form

    • Deliver the completed quit claim deed to the Grantee, the individual receiving ownership of the property.
    • This action formally notifies the Grantee of their new legal status as property owners.
  1. File the Form

    • To record the deed, visit the county recorder’s office in the property’s county.
    • Pay the required recording fee.
    • The deed becomes a part of the public record, officially designating the Grantee as the new legal property owner.
    • Processing times vary by county and depend on the county’s workload.
    • Legally, ownership transfers upon delivery to the Grantee and submission to the county recorder’s office.
  2. Submit Preliminary Change of Ownership Form

    • Obtain and complete a Preliminary Change of Ownership Form.
    • Submit this form to the county recorder’s office.
    • The form collects information about the buyer, seller, and property sales price.
    • It guides you in calculating any transfer taxes owed on the property.
    • Check with the county clerk for any additional required documents, as some states may have additional forms for property transfer.
  3. Pay Excise Tax

    • In some states, additional steps are necessary after filing the quit claim deed.
    • For instance, Washington imposes an excise fee.
    • This fee must be paid within 30 days of recording the deed, separate from the recording fee.
    • To comply, complete a Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavit within 30 days of the transfer and submit it to the county recorder in Washington.
    • Inquire at the recorder’s office about any other fees or post-filing requirements specific to your state.

Transfer Ownership

  • Utilize a quit claim deed as a solution for transferring property ownership.
  • Restrict the use of quit claim deeds to situations where ownership is unambiguous, as this method doesn’t involve title verification for prior liens.
  • Follow a simple process to transfer ownership and transfer the proof of ownership to the new owner efficiently.

Leave a Comment